30/07/26 Melbourne to Seymour

Reluctant to pay for months of accommodation, I bounced around house sits in Melbourne as BD bounced around the Royal Melbourne Hospital, through ICU, HDU, CCU, and a veritable avalanche of medical acronyms. Every day after visiting hours finished I dragged my weary self home to clean Guinea pig cages (Bentleigh East), console needy cats (Hughesdale), and walk exuberantly friendly dogs (Bentleigh and Alphington). 


BD joined me and we crashed her little transit wheelchair over cobbles on our daily visit to HITH (another acronym!) where I took lessons in wound care. Along the way we collected a swag of medical accessories: bed stick, toilet frame, shower stool, walking stick, knee brace. I packed the car like the tetris pro I was.


On Thursday morning we dragged ourselves free of Melbourne's centrifugal force, put on our brand new Grandma/Auntie hats, and took to the road, Sydney-bound. There was a brand new baby in Sydney just waiting to be cuddled, kissed, and generally doted upon.

I coudn't say I was a fan of big-city traffic but nevertheless we made it out of Melbourne in one piece and stopped in Kilmore for a quick walk around the local park. The ground was wet with recent rains and bright green grass glowed on the hills outside town.



Epic travellers that we were, we made it all the way to the Wattle Motel in Seymour, where the proprieter had very kindly turned on the heater for us. I left BD to rhapsodise over the size of the TV, and went for a walk down to the river. A fat kangaroo watched me as I walked, and the bushes twittered with clouds of wrens, the boys all dressed up in bright blue breeding plumage.


Back at the motel I made a cup of tea and enjoyed my motel biscuits.  BD popped the last antibiotic pill and had maltesers to celebrate. We both took a deep breath, drew a line under the whole hospital saga, and went to bed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

About Chooks.

Railway Scones

13/09/25 Uptown Downtown Old Town in Luxembourg